Reflection #1

Remembering:

Throughout the cycle we learnt about writing as an art, a craft, and a vocation. Writing is an art because all writers create something different and usually original which makes it an art, it’s a craft because most of the time writers use an outline to create a piece and use archetypes to build their characters and plot of a story. Writing is a vocation for most authors as it can be their primary profit so they have to continue to write. We had to write four writing prompts written in different ways using the information we learnt for all of them. The first one was to write a piece using showing not telling were we had to expand on a vague sentence we were given and show a whole scene of what is happening rather than telling by using a lot of detail. The second one was using voice where we had to write about a topic using our own voice. The third was another voice one where we had to use our knowledge to write a piece as a different character that is not like your own voice. The last one was a persuasion topic where you had to write to separate pieces about the same topic, but in for two different audiences. I think my finished piece is a good example of my learning as I wrote in my voice using diction and used showing not telling to describe some parts of it.

Understanding:

This learning cycle helped me become a better writer as it challenged me to write in different ways that I wouldn’t have normally done. It challenged me in the showing not telling part as I really had to think and imagine how to describe things. I see how it fits the bigger picture of developing writer’s craft as the stuff I learnt has already helped me in developing my work more than I would usually develop my work.

Application:

I will use what i learned when writing projects for other classes to better develop my writing and make it the best I can.

Analysis:

I stuck to the deadlines for the tasks which definitely helped me get things done in time and not procrastinate.

Evaluation:

The learning from this cycle is important as it helped me explore different types of writing and bettered my writing. I think my participation in the learning was productive as I got everything done in time. I learnt that I need to work more on showing not telling as it can sometimes be hard for me to imagine so much detail. I think I have shown some growth in how I develop my tasks compared to previous tasks.

Creation:

I think I should maybe to some writing on my free time when I can to practice what I learnt from this learning cycle. My goals are to improve even more in my writing.

I need to improve on my showing not telling and the length of my pieces. My specific plans for improving this is to really go through my pieces multiple times a figure out the best ways to describe things.